How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Fort MacLeod, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Scenic Location: Located by the Old Man River in a quiet residential area. We occupy a picturesque 5-acre site covered with many beautiful mature trees that make our grounds feel like a peaceful sanctuary and residents enjoy immensely.
- Pet Therapy: We regularly have trained pet therapy animals visit our home to spend time with our residents.
- Live Entertainment: At least once a month our residents enjoy live entertainment provided by a variety of performers from the community.
- Arts and Crafts: Residents enjoy arts and crafts classes regularly lead by a local community artist.
- First Nations Group: Once a month we have a First Nations discussion group where residents reminisce and remember their role in the community.
- Gardening Group: Our Gardening Group enjoys planting and raising a variety of flowers and vegetables in raised beds in summer and often sell tomato plants they have started in the community to raise funds.
- Community Groups: Various community, church and ladies groups regularly come into our home to serve ice cream, lead sing-alongs, and more.
- Current Events Group: The Current Events group meets daily to discuss the headlines in the newspaper and talk about events in the world.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: At our Monthly Birthday Bash, residents enjoy a cake, candles, a card and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday to You”.
- Seated Exercise Class: We hold seated exercise classes 3 days a week, led by recreation staff that focus on general fitness, range of motion, balance and flexibility.
- Games and Trivia: Bingo, trivia, cards and board games are also very popular with residents.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist